A Peak Inside My Doula Bag
Most doulas when attending your birth will bring with them a bag of tricks. Some will be filled to the brim with all kinds of fun gadgets and gizmos. Others will be very minimal and bare bones. Some I'm sure don't even use bags. To each their own.
I like to think that I fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, leaning closer to the minimal side. After all, birth is a very natural thing that doesn't require much except for a determined, confident woman who is supported. A few extra gadgets don't hurt though.
My trusty backpack! What would I do without you? She has accompanied me to five births so far, soon to be six. I like to fill her up with the following:
- A copy of 'The Birth Partner' by Penny Simkin (easily the most comprehensive guide for doulas and dads, it covers everything)
- Mouthwash (for mum if she throws up, dad if he's been sleeping and wants to freshen up, and for me as well)
-Electric candles (a fave of mine. they're from the dollar store, and make any atmosphere so much lovelier. as hospitals don't allow open flames, this is a great alternative!)
- Massage tool (because my hands can get tired, plus it's fun)
- Bendy straws (so mum doesn't need to crane her head to drink from a cup)
- Hair ties (no one should be resigned to have hair in their face)
- Tums (if mum starts feeling some heartburn which can happen in labour)
- A pen (when doesn't a pen come in handy?)
- Kleenex (always useful)
- Phone charger
- Hand lotion
- Extra clothes (if things get messy)
If there's ever anything extra that my client feels like she might want in labour I'll try to pack it. Don't forget, this is just my bag. My clients also pack a bag with anything and everything they might want or need, so I try to keep it minimal and include things they may have forgotten.
I'm sure that as I continue to learn and grow on this doula journey, the contents of my birth bag will change with me. For now though, I'm quite happy with this selection.
I would love to hear what you all bring with you to your births!